Maura has proudly served as the first openly gay Attorney General in the country. She’s seen her role as a way to open doors for future LGBTQ+ leaders and show young people what’s possible for them. Now, she’s running to be the first lesbian Governor in the country at a time when politicians across the country are launching heartless attacks on LGBTQ+ youth.
Maura’s message to the LGBTQ+ community, particularly young people, is that they are loved and that she will fight for them. That’s what she has done throughout her career. She brought the first successful challenge to DOMA when she was Civil Rights Chief in the Attorney General’s Office, helping to lay the groundwork for marriage equality nationwide. As AG, she championed non-discrimination protections for trans people in Massachusetts, pushed for gender neutral markers on a state and federal level, and stood up to the Trump administration’s numerous attacks on the LGBTQ+ community – from undermining anti-discrimination protections in health care, to rolling back protections for transgender students in schools, to banning transgender individuals in the military, and much more.
As Governor, Maura will continue to stand up to efforts to infringe on LGBTQ+ rights and work to ensure that everyone in Massachusetts can live a happy, healthy, authentic life. That includes:
- Adopting gender neutral markers on more official documents.
- Banning the LGBTQ+ panic defense, which is a legal strategy that allows a defendant to claim a victim’s sexual orientation or gender identity/expression is to blame for their crime.
- Streamlining the process of co-parent adoption.
- Supporting comprehensive, LGBTQ-inclusive, consent-focused, and medically accurate sex education.
- Ending the ban on LGBTQ+ blood donations.
- Advocating for passage of the Equality Act at the federal level.